How to Save on Moving Expenses
Moving costs add up quickly. So how do you save on moving expenses? The best way to keep these costs down is to plan your purchases in advance. Check out The Cesi Pagano Team’s list on how to save on moving expenses for the best tips and tricks!
You never know how much stuff you have until you start to pack. Make sure that you have enough boxes, tape, and bubble wrap on hand.
- Collect Packing Materials. Start collecting packing materials as soon as possible. Look for old boxes at work, bulk stores, and liquor stores. Ask friends and neighbors for their boxes and packing materials. Also check Craigslist or other similar sites for moving materials.
- Reduce/Recycle. Moving is a great time to get rid of stuff that you never use. Start your move off by sorting through your belongings. Make three piles: keep, sell, and donate.
- Start Packing Early. Allow yourself a lot of time for packing. The more time you have the less complicated, disorganized, and hectic your move will be.
2. Professional Movers
Efficient, professional movers can significantly cut the amount of time that a move takes while also protecting your belongings. While they can be expensive, it may be worth it by saving you time and frustration.
- Do Your Research. Go online and start researching the moving companies in your area. Be sure to read reviews and research what is included in eachmoving companies’ services.
- Get Multiple Bids. Ask for bids from at least three companies so you can compare rates.
- Consider Insurance. In many places, your mover’s liability for the damage or loss of your property may be very limited. Ask if you have the option of purchasing better coverage through your mover.
3. Moving Yourself & Storage
If you choose to move yourself, you will likely need to rent a truck. Also, if you’re downsizing or looking for an apartment in the midst of your move, you many need a storage facility as well. As always, it pays to do your research in advance and compare multiple options.
- Truck Rental. Make sure that you rent a moving truck that can safely accommodate your belongings. Make sure you find a truck that isn’t too large to where your belongings will be sliding around. You also want to make sure your truck isn’t too small so you won’t be cramming everything into it.
- Storage Units. There are a variety of storage facilities that offer competitive rates. These companies often advertise online deals (such as one month’s storage for $1) that can save you a lot of money, particularly if you only need short-term storage services.
- Combo Deals. Some storage unit companies also offer moving truck and van rental along with storage space