25 Questions to Ask Before Renting a House
Finding a house to rent can be a chore. To ensure you get exactly what you want, you’ll want to be prepared with a list of questions.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best questions to ask before renting a house. Check them out below:
1. When is rent due? What late charges will be incurred if rent is late?
2. What are my options for paying rent? (money order, credit card, check, cash, online options etc.)
3. What is the minimum credit score to rent the house?
4. Will rent be higher for short term leases?
5. How much is the deposit and what are the terms of my deposit?
6. How much will rent increase each year?
7. If I wish to break my lease, what will the fees be? and how soon do I have to notify the landlord?
8. Do you allow pets? If so, is there a deposit and/or a monthly fee?
9. Who is my primary contact for maintenance requests?
10. Is there a “no alteration” policy for the house?
11. What is the average dollar amount for utilities in this area? (i.e. gas, electric, water, sewer)
12. What fees are non-refundable?
13. What personal documents will the landlord need from me prior to signing the lease?
14. Are appliances included? (i.e. refrigerator, washer, dryer, microwave etc.)
15. If you move out prior to the 1st of the month, will you be charged the full amount of rent?
16. What security features are installed in this house? The community?
17. Has there ever been a fire or flood in this house?
18. Is it difficult to add someone to the lease once it has been signed?
19. Are smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed in the house?
20. Are the grounds of the house my responsibility or the landlords?
21. Is subletting allowed?
22. When the lease is up, will it automatically convert to a month-to-month agreement, or will I be obligated to sign a new lease?
23. How many sets of keys and garage door openers are provided?
24. If I get locked out of the house, who should I contact?
25. How soon do I have to notify my landlord if I wish to end my lease? Days? Months?